Thursday, February 23, 2006

Godspeed You Black Emperor!


This group is certainly something different here on the blog.

Godspeed You Black Emperor is a instrumental band. And if you can get past that, you'll probably also be able to tell that this 9 piece set from Canada are very talented musicians. Just try to understand this music. I couldn't assign it a genre myself, so when I was browsing around here are the ones I ran into..Post-Rock, Experimental, Rock, Indie Rock, Field Recordings. Certainly experimental. Mars Volta fans will appreciate it that's for sure.

Most of the songs that I have heard and streamed offline start off nice and easy. The song from last week, (try downloading again if you got a 60 second sample.. I pointed towards the wrong file), starts off infinitely soft and escalates into distress. Perhaps I appreciate the violin and cello tuned to sound like guitars because I spent a lot of time in band.. But it's really diverse...glockenspiel, chimes, and percussive instruments plus the drum set.

Coming across this band is something very different for me. This is a huge world of music. Their influences I've never heard of, along with the bands that they are similar to. Could it even be considered a band? A group?

It's hard to say their biography because it isn't up on their site, and I doubt it will ever change. The sites that I've been reading are dated before 2001. So take this as a opportunity to expose yourself to different music. Either way, there is no arguing this group is very talented, and the way things seem- you'll probably never hear about them again.
Godspeed You Black Emporer! - The Buildings

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they´re really good - i´ve seen them live.
They have other projects - all instrumental too. The 2 that i like more are "do make say think" and "a silver mount zion", but there are others.
There are other bands that play a similar sound - here are some of the names,in case yo don´t know them yet:
explosions in the sky
mogwai
labradford

4:13 PM  
Blogger Corey J. Butler said...

Thanks for the feedback.

It's realy appreciated.

I'll check'em out for sure.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this blog accidentally, but it´s a nice thing you´re doing here.

Definitely try mogwai. It´s one of those bands that felt really good to discover and it´s still very good. The song "Xmas steps" or "superheroes of BMX" can be a good start for you to see how they sound like. Enjoy it!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home